What do I need?¶
- x86/x64 machine running any OS; 4G ram, SSD, quad core (recommended),
- VirtualBox or similar virtualization software (highly recommended with a minimum of 20GB hard disk space for the virtual disk image),
- Setting up VirtualBox and compile environment is easy following our Vagrant tutorial,
- when you don’t want to build whole OS images (
KERNEL_ONLY=yes) then Docker, systemd-nspawn or other containerization software can be used,
- Only supported compilation environment is Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 x64 (no other releases are supported! It has to be exactly 16.04 otherwise default compiler versions might not match so if you’re on an older Ubuntu release upgrade to 16.04 now, if you use a newer Ubuntu version start with 16.04 from scratch),
- installed basic system, OpenSSH and Samba (optional),
- no spaces in full path to the build script location allowed,
- superuser rights (configured
sudoor root shell).
Please note that system requirements (both hardware and OS/software) may differ depending on the build environment (Vagrant, Docker, Virtualbox, native).
How to start?¶
Login as root and run:
apt-get -y -qq install git git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/armbian/build cd build
Run the script
Providing build configuration¶
After the first run of
compile.sh a new configuration file
config-default.conf will be created.
You may edit it to your needs or create different configuration files using it as a template.
Alternatively you can supply options as command line parameters to compile.sh Example:
./compile.sh BOARD=cubietruck BRANCH=next KERNEL_ONLY=yes RELEASE=xenial
BUILD_ALL cannot be set to “yes” via command line parameter.